About the Family
We are the largest family owned & operated independent broad-line food distributor in the Mid-Atlantic region, and have been since the company’s creation over 25 years ago with five employees determined to succeed. Through the years, we have managed to thrive due to our strong commitment to good old fashioned hard work, customer service, quality, and integrity. This commitment to service & customer satisfaction has set us aside from our competitors; helping us to grow and expand our horizons. We now have over one hundred employees, including many of the prominent professionals of the foodservice industry.
Just the Facts
Here are a few facts about Foods Galore to help you better understand our company.
- We service the entire Mid-Atlantic region with a fleet of 26 trucks.
- We employ 18 salespeople, along with 4 representatives dedicated strictly to customer service.
- We have a 4 person purchasing/marketing team who is in constant contact with our operators & manufacturers to manage credits, rebates, and other special programs.
- We are a member of Legacy Food Service Alliance, a multi-million dollar buying group, which allows us to purchase on a national level.
- We feature a full line of deli, dry goods, frozen value-added products, produce, fresh poultry, boxed beef, seafood, dairy, and paper & chemicals. We also feature a full line of Kosher dry & perishable items, specialty retail packaged products, and specialty items totaling over 8000 items under one roof.
A Little History
Foods Galore was formed when three independent distributors (“jobbers”) that were selling food off of the back of a truck decided to come together and warehouse their businesses. The founders of the company are Stanley Polekoff, Morton Waxler, and Kenneth Sigman. A year later another independent distributor, Howard Buzgon was brought on as a fourth partner.
Over a period of twenty five years the business thrived with annual double digit growth, and successfully fought the influx of the large corporate food service houses, as well as the big box stores, while the majority of the other distributors in the market saw their demise.
As the business grew, Mort’s son (Eric), Kenny’s son (Alex), and Howard’s daughter (April) joined the business. As the founders of the company did, Eric & Alex began their careers in the warehouse & driving the trucks. Eventually they grew into sales, becoming two of the highest grossing salespeople in the market. April obtained a degree in Marketing and helps manage the Marketing Department at Foods Galore in addition to being very involved with Purchasing as well as Sales. Foods Galore has continued to grow, bringing in some extremely talented and forward thinking professionals within the food industry that will help be a core part of the company’s bright future.
Thank you for allowing us to service you!
Mort, Kenny, Howard, Eric, Alex, and April wish you a special “Thanks” for taking the time to learn about our company’s history.